(Chapter Two of “Starting Well“)
Six ways to demonstrate genuine care
By Doug Wendel
Ask the Question;
“ How to build into someone’s life without making them feel like a project ? ”
Doug Wendel describes five practical ways to communicate genuine love for those we are helping to grow in Christ.
(1) Ask and Listen; First thing we must do is ask that person about their life. We must be listening without judging, exhorting or counseling.
(2) Be Flexible; We must consider the needs of their life and not be insistent to meeting our plan.
(3) Be Transparent; We must be honest about our struggles so they also will be honest about their struggles.
(4) Practice Mutuality; A discipline relationship says, “ We are in this together and God wants us to learn from one another. “
(5) Give Grace; We have all had failings and forgiveness, so we should reflect grace upon those we disciple.
Doug Wendel closes this chapter with “The Sum is Love” and by God’s grace those we are helping will not feel like they are “Your Project”. Treating the person we disciple with God’s tender love is a key element to life changing discipleship.
Recommended reading by brother george