1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Less of Me, All of Him


logo
    Sign In  |  Order  |  Donate  |  Sponsor

Pocket Devotions

Romans 9:16
It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.
 
 

Thoughts for Today:

 
One of the hardest lessons I had to learn as an adult was to rely on God's mercy versus my own drive, desire, or effort. I would ask: "How can it be with God -- that less of me means more of Him?" I think this question is well answered by the words of Saint Augustine: "We must be emptied of what we are full, so that we may be filled with what we are empty."

Too often mankind looks upon God's mercy as recognition or reward for the work we've done. We think our efforts cause God to look upon us with more favor. However, if God rewarded our desire or effort with His Mercy, then we would be filled with pride because of what we had accomplished. The election of God is not something we can run for, earn or win. It does not depend on anything we do.

Do you know why God saved me?
It certainly wasn't because of anything I did.
God saved me because He is God and He had mercy on me.
 
 

Questions to Ponder:

 
Of what are you full?
Pride at what you've accomplished, or gratitude for God's mercy?
We must lessen so He might increase. What is your perspective?
Which of your attitudes need adjustment?

No comments:

Post a Comment