1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Friday, September 26, 2014

The Promise of Christ

Pocket Devotions

Romans 9:4g
...and the promises.
 
 

Thoughts for Today:

 
The promises -- the great Abrahamic promises, successively unveiled, have had their fulfillment in Jesus Christ. Galatians 3:16: "The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say 'and to seeds,' meaning many people, but 'and to your seed,' meaning one person, who is Christ."

However, there are still more promises to be found in the pages of the Old Testament. For example, there will be a time when the Jews will lead the nations of the world, there will be a universal kingdom and a world King (Jesus), and throughout the earth, government will flow from the city of Jerusalem. Those promises are still there and God intends to fulfill them. Acts 26:6-7: [Paul speaking] "And now it is because of my hope in what God has promised our fathers that I am on trial today. This is the promise our twelve tribes are hoping to see fulfilled as they earnestly serve God day and night."

In Joshua 1:2, God spoke to the children of Israel: "Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them--to the Israelites." Let me ask you a question: "Have you ever felt the land on the other side of the Jordan River belonged to you?" I never have. Yet the Jews have an unchangeable and unalterable attachment to the land. Why? Because God Himself gave it to them, singularly. It's an illustration of the point Paul makes in our passage today -- just like the land on the other side of the Jordan river -- God will faithfully deliver upon the promises He has made to us both individually and collectively.
 
 

Questions to Ponder:

 
God has offered to each of us the greatest gift of all -- Himself! He sacrificed His own Son that we might live. Have you received His gift? Romans 10:9: "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. If you have not, pray with me today: "Heavenly Father, have mercy on me, a sinner. I believe in you and that your word is true. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and that he died on the cross so that I may now have forgiveness for my sins and eternal life. I know that without you in my heart my life is meaningless. I believe that you, God, raised Him from the dead. Jesus, please forgive me and come into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior today. I give you my life and ask you to take full control from this moment on; I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen." If you prayed that prayer for the first time today, please let us know and we will provide you with additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment