1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How Great is Your Debt ?


Romans 1:14
I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish.
 
 

Thoughts for Today:

 
The original Greek word used for "obligated" is "opheiletes" which means: a person indebted. In our passage today, Paul considered himself "in debt" to a lost world. Why? Because of the grace God had so lavishly heaped upon him -- regardless of the great mistakes he had made in the past.

Jesus explains this in Luke 7:40-43, [Jesus speaking to a Pharisee] "Simon, I have something to tell you." "Tell me, teacher," he said. "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?" Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.

Have you ever noticed at church how some people are so enthusiastic in worship -- standing, singing, raising hands, laughing and crying -- all in praise to God. A non-Christian might wonder why so much emotion is involved. I know why -- because I feel the same way -- relief that my debts have been cancelled by the sacrifice Jesus made for me. It is just that sometimes our perception of the "size" of the debt released governs how much joy we feel.

Clearly Paul felt a lot of relief and joy -- which he expressed with his enthusiastic commitment to spread the Gospel. His new debt was to all of mankind ("both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish") to share this Good News!
 
 

Questions to Ponder:

 
How much joy do you feel for the debts God has forgiven?
A little or a lot? 
Don't be fooled;
It is not how much or how little sin has been forgiven that matters,
because our destiny is either heaven or hell.
Some questions you might want to consider:
How do I express the joy of my salvation?
Is it solely between the Lord and myself, or
do I, like Paul feel a sense of "obligation" to share the Gospel with everyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment