1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

If You Call Yourself a Christian

Pocket Devotions

Day 535: Questions of Responsibility, Part 1:

Romans 2:17a
Now you, if you call yourself a Jew...
 
 

Thoughts for Today:

 
A number of months ago I was faced with a difficult problem -- one I wrestled with regularly yet couldn't bring to conclusion. I had trouble sleeping, I developed an eye twitch (for me a symptom of stress), my stomach became sensitive to all sorts of foods, and little things irritated me easily. I prayed, "Lord, why doesn't this situation get resolved? Is there something else I need to do?" Then the Lord answered, "It is not your problem it is Mine."

You see I called myself a Christian, yet I had forgot one fundamental responsibility -- being a Christian isn't following a set of rules, laws, values or principles -- it is loving and trusting God. I think that's what Paul begins to speak about in our passage today -- the Jews could call themselves Jews, but what did that mean exactly? For me, being a Christian means letting God lead in all areas of my life while trusting Him with the results. Where I went wrong -- my job description didn't include worry.
 
 

Questions to Ponder:

 
Have you been losing sleep lately ?   Feeling a little stressed ?
After you've done all you can do, are you still unsettled?
What does being a Christian mean to you in this circumstance?
 
Consider Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
 
And also, Jeremiah 29:11, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment