1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

Thursday, November 8, 2012

“Paul’s thorn in the flesh"



O.T.: Flesh;(basar),”body” (besar) “body”

N.T.: Flesh; (sarx) “body tissue”; (eshpar)”piece of flesh”;(tibehah)”flesh”

                                (sarkikos)(sarkinos)”body,weakness,carnal,worldly,sinful,imperfection”

N.T.:messenger; (aggelos)”angels, demons, spies, angelic deceivers”
 
Paul’s thorn of which ever interpretation ( physical, temptation, evil opponent ) was allowed by God to keep Paul humble.

First interpretation considering the O.T. description of Isreael’s opponents as thorns.
God may have allowed Satans messengers (demonized angelic deceivers) to torment Paul.
The thorn may have been a false apostle causing trouble to the Corinthian Church.
So the thorn may have been one sent to proclaim evil and thus very painful to Paul.
God did not remove this torn (trouble maker) but gave Paul the grace to endure those ordeals.
God allows trails to humble and bring you to your knees for Spiritual victory.

2 Corinthians 12:7 (NKJV)
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.

Another interpretation considering the N.T. flesh being body tissue as a very painful place to have a weakness, imperfection, or illness. Considering Paul was enduring a illness while he was visiting the Galation Churches. So Paul may have been suffering from the same sickness while he was visiting the Corinthian Churches. Or Paul may have been suffering from the injuries he received from being stoned.

Galatians 4:13-14 (NKJV) 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first.
14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

Acts 14:19 (NKJV) 19 Then Jews from Antioch and Iconium came there; and having persuaded the multitudes, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing him to be dead.

Regardless if you choose that Paul’s thorn was a worldly temptation, or physical illness, or Satan’s demonic angels these would all be of trails allowed by God. Paul in his place of weakness had God’s power for Paul’s preaching.

 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (NKJV)
8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.
9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Each of us will eventually have some trail that we must endure with God’s grace. So God may not remove your thorn, but God will provide the grace to bear it. This is God’s answer for you the assurance of God’s strength and grace with the companionship of the Son of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment